Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies {Recipe}


Last year I was invited to a Cookie Exchange party by my friend Rocio. You know, where each person makes a bunch of cookies along with the recipe to share & exchange with the other guests. You end up leaving with a slew of goodies from each person. What a great & fun idea! One problem. I had NEVER made cookies from scratch before. My idea of making cookies was to buy the pull apart Tollhouse cookies and pop them in the oven. I began searching the web and asking for help on Facebook. I needed something that didn't require much culinary skill or fancy kitchen gadgets. I found this recipe on Our Best Bites. This is a really great site for recipes, Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies. I know, so creative! LOL I could of come up with something with a little more pizzazz but I absolutely love toffee and thought a cookie with some Heath bar sounded yummy!


Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1/4 c. Smart Balance margarine (or similarly high-quality margarine)
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. packed DARK brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 c. Heath bits
3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1/4 c. white chocolate chips*




*You can use 1 c. chocolate chips instead of splitting it up between the semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, but the white chocolate chips make these cookies extra-special.

Preheat oven to 375. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.





Combine brown sugar, white sugar, butter, margarine, and vanilla in a large bowl until well-blended. Add in eggs and beat well. Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combined. Add in chocolate and white chocolate chips and then mix the toffee bits until they're just combined. Drop dough (I use a cookie scoop) onto the cookie sheets 
and bake 8-10 minutes (8 is perfect in my oven, but each one is different) until the cookies are lightly brown. Allow to cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. The cooling rack is very important in this recipe because the toffee will make the cookies stick to the pan if you're not careful.

Having two cute helpers make the cookies extra extra special! 









I've made these cookies about a dozen times since that party and my whole family loves them. If you want something sweet and simple, these are the way to go! 

Enjoy!

L,
Nicole 

No comments:

Post a Comment